QiGong Breathing For Reducing Stress
QiGong breathing is an ancient Taoist exercise for breathing and relaxation. There are many different forms of QiGong breathing. In additiion to reducing stress, the practice may also enhance the body's focus on the reproductive organs. Practicing this breathing exercise / technique can be thought of as breathing life into and through the uterus.
The following are the common steps involved in performing QiGong breathing:
- Close your eyes and try to clear your mind
- Place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth just behind the top of your front teeth
- Breathe deeply in through your nose and concentrate on bringing your breath from your nose and down the midline of your body, between your breasts, down your abdomen and to a region about 2 inches below your bellybutton / navel.
- Move your focus to the muscles of your genital area and below your navel to your uterus. While doing this gently contract your pelvic floor muscles as if you were trying to stop urinating.
- Relax your muscles and exhale fully from your abdomen while letting your focus return up the posterior midline of your bodyto the top of your head and back to your nose
- Focus on your body and on your breathing